Lakewood’s Veterans Day Speaker and Ceremony

patch.com

The Lakewood Veterans Day ceremony was held on Thursday, November 11 at Lakewood Park. It began at 11 am at 14532, which is the Veterans Memorial. After the Presentation of Colors, the Four Vet Quartet performed the National Anthem in honor of the lost soldiers.

The Lakewood High School Band also performed along with a 21-gun salute from the Joint Veterans Honor Guard. A speaker attended this year’s ceremony named Sean Ennis to address the attendees.

Sean Ennis was inducted into the Ohio Veteran’s Hall of fame in 2011. He was born in Pennsylvania in 1947 and moved to Brooklyn, New York at just 11 days old. Then, he enlisted in the army in 1965 and worked with the Army Security Agency until April 1969, where he served in Vietnam, Korea and Thailand.

Ennis graduated from Youngstown State University in 1973 and got a job as a citizen, but still working for the government. He worked for the IRS and the Department of Veterans Affairs. His retirement from government service was in 2006.

Before his retirement, Ennis was a Commander of Veterans of Foreign Wars District 7 and Post 2533 in Cleveland, where he moved in 1977. He is still involved with the Vietnam Veterans of America Chapter 15, the Joint Veterans Honor Guard, Honor Flight Cleveland and the Airport Ambassador program at Cleveland Hopkins Airport.

It is very important to listen to our veterans share their stories and experiences to really know what it’s like to serve this country with bravery. People like Sean Ennis make this day special to Lakewood, where we hold many veterans and continue to remember them at the memorial at Lakewood Park. Thank you to the veterans who have served us!