Supreme Court and the Mississippi Abortion Law

redit

On Dec. 1, 2021 the Supreme Court heard a case concerning a Mississippi abortion law that would ban abortions after 15 weeks. This law goes against the ruling of Roe v. Wade, the 1973 Supreme Court decision that legalized abortions nationwide that occur around the 24 week period of pregnancy.

According to CNN, the Biden Administration urged the Supreme Court to uphold Roe v. Wade and to invalidate the Mississippi law that would harm womb carriers and families. It should be noted that most womb carriers are unable to know if they’re pregnant during this 15 week period – therefore this new law seems extremely restrictive and ineffective to many, and overall, invasive to womb carriers’ freedoms and privacy. Acting Solicitor General Brian H. Fletcher said overruling Roe v. Wade “would harm women (and their partners) who have organized intimate relationships and made choices that define their views of themselves and their places in society, in reliance on the availability of abortion in the event that contraception should fall.”

It will definitely take some time to see what the Supreme Court Justices decide when it comes to these new abortion laws that are starting to appear rapidly, mainly in southern and other conservative states. In conclusion, the health of Roe v. Wade still seems to be up in the air – many people are fearful of the case being overruled due to the three Supreme Court Justices who were appointed by former President Donald Trump that have spoken out about their anti-abortion beliefs on multiple occasions.

Although there are extremely different views on the topic of abortions and the ruling of Roe v. Wade, it can be agreed that the Justices’ final decisions in a few months will have a huge impact on a lot of people in the United States…particularly womb carriers.