The Fashion of Gaultier Spring/Summer 2022 Haute Couture

Hypebae

Belgian designer, creative director of the Y/Project, creative director of Diesel, and now, the designer of Gaultier Spring/Summer 2022 haute couture collection, Glenn Martens is certainly a busy man. Martens is now only the second person to collaborate with Gaultier in designing one of their collections for a single season only, a privilege previously awarded to Sacai’s Chitose Abe last year. Being privy to the entire archives and aesthetic of the brand, the designer has free reign to incorporate their own vision into the collection. This time around, Martens took up the head of designing a Spring/Summer collection, his debut in designing an Haute Couture collection, a much different venture from his ready-to-wear designs with the denim brand Diesel and the Y/Project. 

His collection was viewed on the runway for Paris Couture Fashion Week, a collection of 36 gowns, each seemingly better than the last. Martens incorporated his own distinct style into the garments while staying true to Gaultier’s unconventional and innovative designs. Utilizing Gaultier’s motif of corseted bodices with plunging Y-shaped stomachers, hooped crinolines, feminine silhouettes, structural fabric, and the famous Gaultier sailor stripes. Each gown is a magical concoction of Martens own style and designs, and the Gaultier’s age-old brand motifs and innovative looks.

This collection was a standout at Paris Couture Fashion Week, and a signal not only of Gaultier’s lasting impact and innovation in the fashion world but the creativity and power of Glenn Martens in the fashion industry, a newcomer that people should certainly pay attention to.