Rocky River Week

Jen Murray

In the first week of September, the Lakewood High Girls and Boys soccer teams faced Rocky River. The boy’s varsity team had an exciting game while fighting for the cup against their rival.

Throughout the game, senior Andy S, with superior foot skills, was able to dominate the middle of the field and help his team stay with Rocky River while Eli L — along with Camden F — were able to put up a tough fight at defense. After a long 80 minutes of strength and grind, the official score of the game was 0-0. Shortly after, Quincy, Andy S, Eli L, Moososwer, and Marcos H were selected to participate in unofficial penalty kicks to determine who would be the winner of the River Cup. With the student section in the stands going crazy, all the players were able to reach the back of the net with Andy S having the cup-winning goal, making it the second year in a row the Rangers bring it home. 

On the other hand, the girl’s soccer teams came out with less luck. The junior varsity came out on the short end with a 9-1 loss. With high pressure, fight and drive; Alexandra A scored a goal making the score 9-1. The varsity team put up a tough fight but was still unable to have the ball reach the back of the net. This takes the girl’s team to the record of 3-1. Annette D and Willow T applied constant pressure on the forward third of the field while Ruby F and Clare M held the back defense.

When asked about the game, right outside defender, Clare Morrissey says, “The back line was really missing our Captain and superhuman defender, Samantha Hudak — her injury set us back but we still tried our best to hold our own against the river rat attackers like the Ava Patty.” 

With a sore loss, the Rangers look to improve to take home another win.