Special Olympics Flag Football Game

Sydney Hampton

Lakewood High School has always had a lively athletics scene, but in recent months our Special Education program has taken a step into this existing world too. During the 2021-2022 school year, the Special Olympics program held a Track and Field Meet that spanned the entire school day and consisted of an array of events like Javelin Throw, 100 meter dash, Sprint relays, and much more. This event was a hit for the contestants and fans and set a precedent for future events like the 2022-2023 school year’s Special Olympics Flag Football game.

This year, the Special Olympics Unified Sports Program is going to be participating in and hosting events each season: Football in the fall, Basketball in the winter, and Track & Field in the spring. The first event this year was held by John Marshall High School and consisted of four teams who all got a chance to play each other.

Coordinator Ms. Csongei summarized the event; “The games are quick so the kids can go out there and play with heart. It’s pretty much almost like a real game. Everybody gets a turn to play and there are no judgments.”

The weather for the game was beautiful and it was a perfect day to be outside and playing around. The Lakewood Rangers team even had a few wins against the other teams!

The Football game seemed like it was a blast, but since it was hosted away, not many of Lakewood High students had the opportunity to experience the event… but have no fear because next Wednesday, Sept. 21, the Lakewood Rangers will be hosting our very own Flag Football event and you better be there!