What’s Poppin’ in the English Department?

Lakewood High School offers its students a wide array of courses, including our science department’s Horticulture class and our art department’s fiber and textiles class… there is always something new the school can offer. 

But what about our English department? 

Lakewood High School senior and academic scholar Samantha Hudak says, “Everybody knows that Lakewood has the best options for our English reading and writing programs.”

So what exactly is so special about the second-floor C wing?

Mr. Cooper, one of Lakewood’s English teachers, said that his new Film as Literature Class is super exciting and it’s great to see students’ passion brewing about deeper and creative meanings in film. He also teaches a course called Practical Communication, which he says is meant to “provide students with the communication skills necessary to be successful”. 

Ms. Brady’s English 2 Advanced classes have spent the first part of the quarter studying philosophical works from a literary perspective. Students have connected contemporary texts by Ursula LeGuin and Margaret Atwood to Platonic Philosophy. She says that you should stop in her room to see some beautifully creative and thoughtful projects!

Ms. Garritano, our AP Language and Composition teacher, says that her class coursework is starting to get really intense and students are beginning to take the class seriously. Some of the students have coined names for the routine AP Lang weekdays… like Talk-to-me-Tuesdays and Thought-I-did-better-Thursdays. 

This is just a sneak peek into the opportunities and vigor that the English department offers at Lakewood High School. Keep your eyes open for courses that you can take next year!