Overcoming Stage Fright

Alex Belisle

I’ve always been really involved in performing arts; especially acting or just being on stage. It’s been one of my passions for the longest time. However, with acting and being on stage, of course nervousness is a big issue. I and many other actors have struggled with stage fright and continue to struggle with stage fright. If you struggle with stage fright, here are some tips from me, or things that I like to remember before I perform, and no, this has nothing to do with imagining people naked.

One thing I always tell myself that’s really reassuring is that the audience doesn’t know the lines of the play, unless they’re die-hard fans. If you mess up, literally nobody knows that you messed up except for you, and it’s no big deal if you mess up – just keep going forward.

Another thing that helps me is just relaxing and preparing myself beforehand. Meditate or do whatever it is that you need to do to clear your mind. I personally always make sure that I’ve eaten something. I like to take slow, deep breaths too. I find it really comforting to just have a mental conversation with myself, and just reassure myself that everything will be okay. It could even be nice to have a conversation with one of your friends, or someone you know will support you and be able to succeed at comforting you.

Overall, it’s really important to make sure that you’re okay mentally and not let the fear get to you.