Interview With a Cast Member of Shakespeare’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream

Interview With a Cast Member of Shakespeares A Midsummer Nights Dream
Cleveland State

A Midsummer Night’s Dream is currently in production from the Barnstormers Drama Club. I took the liberty of interviewing one of the cast members of the show, Alexis Lindsay, and asked her some questions about her character and her passion for theater.

You are currently playing as Oberon in a production of A Midsummer Night’s Dream, do you have a dream role/roles that take place in the Shakespearean universe?

“Yes! Someday I would love to play Mercutio in a production of Romeo and Juliet.”

What is Oberon like? Is he in or out of your comfort zone as an actress?

“Oberon is definitely one of the most interesting characters I have played so far. While he is the fairy king and has a sort-of mystical and flowery way of speaking and performing magic, he’s also very ruthless and manipulative when it comes to getting his way. There’s a lot of duality to him that I haven’t really had with other roles I’ve played before, and It’s very fun exploring those character shifts.”

What is your favorite Shakespeare show?

“Shakespeare has many iconic and interesting plays that are amazing in their own ways, but my personal favorite as of now would have to be The Tempest. It’s fun, it’s magical, it’s comedic, and there’s a lot of conceptual directions that can be taken when producing a unique performance of this play.”

What are you looking forward to the most being in this production?

“Being in this production, I’m most looking forward to seeing how things come together, whether it’s the set, lighting, sound cues, or music. The use of magic in this play is very interesting, so I’m excited to see how the audience reacts to it.”

How long have you been into theater?

“I’ve always seemed to be drawn to theater and performance even as a kid. I did children’s theater until I was 11 and unfortunately stopped, however I rediscovered my love for theater by getting involved in production crew and set design near the end of my freshman year. Once I was more comfortable on stage again, I resumed performing in productions my sophomore year, and have been very actively involved since.”