Basketball Community Challenge 2022

Alex Besile

Hey Lakewood Rangers! What are all of your favorite parts about Lakewood and the school system here? A lot of people would say it is the community that surrounds us all and fills us up with so much hope and excitement each and every day. 

Middle school teacher at Harding, Mr. Kocur, and some of the young ladies on the basketball team organized a Community Challenge Basketball Game to raise money for this year’s seniors’ prom and form a fun event for the community of Lakewood to come together and enjoy. It happened at the Lakewood High School Gymnasium on October 22nd. At the game, teachers and staff from the elementary schools, middle schools, and high school as well as members within our working community all came together as teams to play some basketball. Some familiar faces in this game consisted of elementary staff including Germaine, Sorge, Holiday, Budzar, and Leddy. Our middle school volunteers, Kocur, Knapp, Kerney, Branco, and Holme. Your very own high school volunteers, Sparks, Cammock, Morgan, Rhinehart, and Chiarvalle. Even special appearances from community members such as Mayor George, Councilman Baker, Superintendent Niedzwiecki, Kent Zeman, and several others who were not listed. 

The games were full of entertainment and laughs, followed by good competition and strong gameplay. The high school volunteers played against the community players first at 6 p.m. and our very own high school teachers got the win. Next, the elementary school staff played against the middle school staff at 7 p.m. which resulted in a win for the middle school. This event had a huge turnout. Students and members of the community consisting of all ages came out to make sure they didn’t miss out on all of the excitement. The Lakewood Times spoke with senior basketball player, Sydney Hampton, and she told us, “Our senior class raised just over $4,000 that goes to our prom and other organizations we plan to donate. This is going to make a huge impact on our class and our school, and we are so excited to hopefully set a precedent for further classes to continue events such as these.” 

We cannot wait to see what other fun things are in store for the high school as well as the community!