Interview with an Orchestra Student!

Boston Symphony Orchestra

With the Music Marathon passed, it is already time to look forward to next year’s and understand how much of an impact this annual fundraiser has on students, the purpose of this event is to help raise money that  assists in paying for instruments, instrument repairs, private lessons, supplies, and anything else that will positively benefit the Orchestra department and its students. 

When students arrived at the school, they are were able to bring anything from video game consoles, to homework, to even sleeping bags and blankets so they can take naps between rehearsals. It is important that this event is just as much fun as it is a learning experience and serious fundraiser. To give more of an insight into the Orchestra Program’s annual event, I asked an Orchestra student a couple questions about what she was looking forward to regarding the Music Marathon. 

What were you most looking forward to during the Music Marathon? 

I am mostly looking forward to all the activities, being with my friends all day, and getting to play a lot of songs. This is something that I look forward to every year in orchestra, it’s an opportunity for all of us to come together. 

Why is the Orchestra program important to you and how does the fundraiser benefit you personally in a positive way? 

The orchestra program means everything to me, and the fact that Dr. Hankins cares about us individually makes it a lot more special. Getting to practice and be pushed to play songs and have it all come along in the end is a beautiful thing to me. I don’t ever intend on letting the orchestra go, my high school experience wouldn’t be the same without it. 

The fundraiser has benefited me personally by allowing me to continue with my lessons by giving my lesson scholarships, which has helped majorly in progressing my violin skills.