Girls Participating In NIMBA

This NIMBA season has been one for the books for most teams. NIMBA, our intramural basketball program held through the Lakewood Recreation, is a league where students can make individual teams with a limit of 10 people to play basketball games and compete against others teams made by students. This year looked a bit different though. With eight teams made by all levels, there were two teams that made an impact. The Ball Handlers and the Sharp Skudders. These two teams were made up of senior girls. They’re overall impact to the league has been special

Before this year, Lakewood’s recreation basketball league has been primarily all boys teams, until this year. Two girls teams have been registered to play, The Ball Handlers that consists of seniors (Mallory Zavatchen, Clare McKay, Erin Dippel, Helen Roche, Clare Morrisey, Elliott Snyder, Lydianna Trudel, Rosie Lipka, Casey Funk, Grace Hart, and Helen Hylton) and the Sharp Skudders (Maddie Kratz, Maddy Sorge, Ellie Justus, Bella Burnett, and Sophia Odetallah). These seniors wanted one last hooray before leaving high school and it has been an experience to remember. Even though the girl’s were challenged to play against the boys, it was a fun experience to play against the boys and create a fun bond and competitive culture. 

As the NIMBA season is coming to a close, these girls teams are reminiscing on their season. As the girl’s haven’t won many games, they created great friendships and bonds with teammates and teams. The Sharp Skudders will play against The Sam Nelson Experience at 11 am at Garfield Middle School and the Ball Handlers play at 9 am against The Starz.