Club Identity’s Meeting Recap

Club Identitys Meeting Recap

Lakewood High School offers several different clubs that could spike interest among a variety of students. Club Identity, run by Mr. Lobozzo,  is a club that comes together about once a month to talk about more modern-day topics in the news or social media. Club Identity is a safe space where everyone can learn more about a topic that they have a strong opinion on.

The most recent meeting was held on Feb. 13, where they talked about AP Black American studies. The meeting went into depth about this topic that has lately been all over the news. For example, Mr. Lobozzo had Austin Sparks, the teacher teaching the AP Black American Studies course, attend the meeting, where he educated and gave his thoughts about the recent outbreak of negative attention shown on the news.

It was discussed in the meeting how the Republican governor of Florida, Ron DeSantis, vowed to block schools from teaching the course, saying it violated state law and “significantly lacks educational value”. After sharing how Florida is going through a difficult time teaching this course, it was discussed how the course had to be revised and articles had to be taken out of the course content. The articles were removed and sued for using the words “white supremacy”, etc. 

After reading about what was happening in Florida,  many people who attended this meeting were able to share their thoughts and hear why what had happened to the course in Florida made an impact on schools everywhere.