An Interview with Oktobers

An Interview with Oktobers
Oktobers

Oktobers is a metaphysical and witchcraft inspired shop in Lakewood where you can find tarot & oracle decks, jewelry, and Magical herbs. This mysterious place is owned by Jessica Oktober, and the Lakewood Times sat down with her for an interview.

How did you come up with the idea for Oktobers?

It’s my last name – And the name has an apostrophe because it’s technically all my stuff until I sell it which I thought was kind of cute and funny. 

When and how did you start obtaining the items?

I started obtaining items around November 2018. A lot of research into wholesale companies and individual artists. 

Where would you locate possible other locations outside of Lakewood?

I don’t think I would ever relocate. Lakewood is my home and I love the community. 

What is the most valuable item you have obtained over the years?

I’m not sure on an astronomical monetary value of any of the items I sell but I have had people bring me things like bat skeletons from Brazil and stones from a graveyard in Scotland and those things are in my shop and I just love when people bring me little offerings and items. So those are things that are valuable to me. 

What items are people most attracted to in your shop?

Customers like our wide-array crystals, as well as the items I have obtained for different deities, our services (tarot readings, palmistry, reiki etc) and I think just the broad-spectrum of metaphysical items at my shop carries. 

Do most people come in to just look or buy something?

Generally most people buy something, whether it’s a gift or something small for themselves. I try to have a large selection of items in different price ranges to make all my customers happy.

What product is most popular for purchase here?

Seven day candles, crystals, handmade jewelry, spell kits, herbs, textiles, tarot decks; all sorts of metaphysical items, but those are definitely some of the top ones. 

Has an institution ever complained because they saw the items as controversial?

Not institutions, but we have had a few people who have educated us on the use of certain herbs and their over cultivation so there are certain things that I don’t carry anymore. Certain herbs are just not sustainable and not something I’m interested in carrying.

Is there any product or item you wanted to sell or show but could not because of permissions or controversy?

There are certain animal feathers that are not allowed to be sold within the state.

What is your favorite item?

I work with, and use crystals and herbs a lot but as I have curated the entire shop, I like most of the things that we have.

What are your plans for the future?

We just added an event space in October which is attached to our Tarot parlor and we also have a Reiki room in the back. I just want to move forward with providing the community with a safe space for metaphysical events as well as learning about witchcraft in a judgment free zone. We will also continue to work with certain charities that are local and dear to our hearts. 

Do you have a big enough market here in Lakewood to keep and grow your unique business?

I believe so. We grew substantially when we moved to Birdtown, and I feel we will continue to thrive! We are going through the process of obtaining a new blade sigh for outside of the building as well as more lighting since we are open until 8pm, 5 days a week, and 6pm the other two days. 

What item keeps your business going?

I’m not sure that it’s any one item I think it is a delicate balance of many things that we have to offer the community in terms of metaphysical supplies as well as local art and the services we provide such as Tarot Readings, Palmistry, Lenormand Readings, Astrology Readings and Reiki. 

Is there anything else you would like to add?

Being an entrepreneur is a lot of work, especially when you are not funded by a sole beneficiary or private company and aren’t able to get bank loans. I’ve bootstrapped the entire business since 2018 and it’s a lot of work with very long hours, but it is very rewarding being able to provide metaphysical assistance to those who seek it.