Alicia Keys No Makeup Vow

Nearly two years into her “no makeup vow”, Alicia Keys attended the 2018 Grammy’s foundation free and GLOWING. Keys initially began her journey in after the 2016 MTV Awards in effort to promote self empowerment.

She explained her decision to stop wearing makeup on red carpets, at concerts, during the taping of The Voice stating, “I don’t want to cover up anymore. Not my face, not my mind, not my soul, not my dreams, not my emotional growth.”

In a song called “When A Girl Can’t Be Herself” Keys sheds light on her ideology…singing, “In the morning from the minute that I wake up / What if I don’t want to put on all that makeup / Who says I must conceal what I’m made of / Maybe all this Maybelline is covering my self-esteem.”

But what is the secret behind that glow? Key’s “no-makeup” artist revealed that she does frequent facials, eats healthy, and exercises. “She knows you have to invest internally for your skin to look great externally,” Dotti told W.

She went makeup-free at the Democratic National Convention, at the BET Awards, in the September issue of Ebony, on the cover of Grazia and Fault. On all the promotional materials for The Voice. She made a decision and she’s been sticking to it, while inspiring others to dare to go bare in the process.

Point being, makeup has been a symbol of sociological ills in a judgmental, male-dominated world for years—as it was for decades before TLC sang about it too. Unlike in 1998, though, with social media being what it is, celebrities can reach millions of people at once every time they speak up for a cause, and the #NoMakeup movement—if not necessarily widely adopted by a lot of people as famous as Keys is—has certainly found an enthusiastic following.