Pacific Rim Uprising

On March 23, 2018, Warner Bros. released the second film of the Pacific Rim franchise, Pacific Rim Uprising. Directed by Steven S. DeKnight and produced by Guillermo del Toro  and fellow cast member John Boyega, we are led through the aftermath of what was left behind after the first Pacific Rim film.

Jake Pentecost is a Jaeger pilot whose legendary father, Stacker Pentecost, gave his life to secure humanity’s victory against the gigantic monsters called the Kaiju. Jake has since abandoned his training only to become caught up in a criminal underworld. But when an even more unstoppable threat is unleashed to tear through cities and bring the world to its knees, Jake is given one last chance by his sister, Mako Mori, to live up to his father’s legacy.

The second film welcomes back cast members from the first movie, including Charlie Day as Dr. Newton Geiszler, Burn Gorman as Herman Gottlieb, and Rinko Kikuchi as Mako Mori. The film is also introducing new characters. Star Wars cast member John Boyega joins the cast as Jake Pentecost. Jing Tian plays Liwen Shao, Scott Eastwood as Nate Lambert, Cailee Spaeny as Amara Namani, and many more.

Just a few days ago, it was announced that the second Pacific Rim film passed Marvel’s Black Panther at the box office. While Black Panther still remains number one world-wide, it earned about $17 million upon its sixth week of release, according to Box Office Mojo.

However, Pacific Rim Uprising took the lead over the weekend with $28 million, and continues to stay ahead of Black Panther. Many call the $28 million that the movie has made as “soft.” The first movie, Pacific Rim, in 2013 made just over $37 million after its release.