Rangers Comeback Win

Rangers Comeback Win

On Wednesday March 28th, 2018 the Lakewood Rangers varsity baseball team took on Berea-Midpark in the home opener for South Western conference play. However, things started out very ugly. The Rangers found themselves in a deep hole through the first two innings trailing as much as 7-1.

As the game progressed, things were getting even uglier and had no signs of getting any better, the Rangers offense was collecting base runners and tacked on a few runs, but couldn’t capitalize on the opportunities that they had. The Titans offense kept building on the Rangers mistakes behind the plate and in the field and increased their lead 10-3.

From that point forward, it seemed to click in the Rangers heads that this was not the way that things were going to go to open up the season, and have their dreams crushed of having a shot at the SWC title. The Rangers plated six runs in the bottom of the fifth in a two out rally lead by a base’s clearing double by senior Jared Naida.

The Rangers defense started looking real sharp for the remainder of the game having a quick three out inning in the top of the sixth. Then, it was the Rangers turn to keep the momentum flowing. Down by two with two outs and the bases loaded yet again senior Joe Byczek hit a line drive up the middle and scores two runs to tie the game at 10 a piece.

As the Rangers headed to the seventh inning they were all fired up and had no signs of losing the game. The Titans threatened with getting a runner to third but the Rangers quickly got three outs from there. Now, it was time for Lakewood to end it the right way.

Senior George Hericks drew a walk to lead the inning off, and then made his way to second on a passed ball. Then senior Burke Fortner hits a blooper to left field and scores the game winning run, completing the Rangers amazing comeback win. Everyone stormed Fortner at second base and took in the great moment.