My trip to Germany

Over spring break I was privileged enough to travel across the Atlantic Ocean to Germany. We were able to travel through the cities of Munich, Landshut, Salzburg, Oberammergau, and Berlin.

Our trip started off in Munich. We arrived around 7 am on the day before easter. It was a chilly day in Munich, and the jet-lag made everyone very exhausted. To start our tour of Munich off, we toured the Residenz, where the royal family of Bavaria lived in. This was the first of three castle like places we toured, each being as beautiful as the next. After our tour of the Residenz, we walked around Munich for the rest of the day, just to see the sights. In the middle of the town is the city center, where the City Hall is located. On top of the City Hall there is a glockenspiel, which moves everyday at noon.

The next day in Munich we took a bus tour, on which we saw most of the sights in Munich, including the BMW headquarters, the 1972 Summer Olympic games village, and the Nyphenburg palace. We were able to tour the grounds of the Palace and Olympic games the following day.

Nyphenburg Palace was the birthplace of the Bavarian King Ludwig II, known as the fairy tale king. Later on our trip we visited the city of Oberammergau, which is near the castle King Ludwig built, Neuschwanstein Castle. This castle was easily the most beautiful sight I have ever seen in my life. The castle is set in the mountains, and looks like it is straight from a fairy tale.

After we left Bavaria and southern Germany, we took a train to the Berlin. Berlin is a very different city compared to Munich. Unlike Munich, which is a very historic and catholic city, Berlin is mostly modern and rebuilt from the war.

While in Berlin, we were able to see the remnants of the Berlin Wall, which separated East and West Berlin for over 20 years during the cold war. The East Side Gallery is a portion of the Berlin Wall that has been transformed into the largest outdoor art gallery in the world.

Overall, the trip was an amazing experience. To see the culture that I have studied for four years in German class firsthand was truly a great cultural experience.