Barbara Bush Dies at 92

Former First Lady, Barbara Bush, died at the age of 92 on Tuesday, April 17, reports the New York Times.

The wife of the 41st President and mother of the 43rd died while at her home in Houston Texas, announced Jim McGrath, a family spokesman. The heartbreaking news came after Bush’s long struggle with multiple health issues, including ulcers, pneumonia and heart problems. Just two days before her passing, the family had announced that she “decided not to seek additional medical treatment and will instead focus on comfort care.”

Barbara Bush and former President George H. W. Bush were married for 73 years at the time of her passing, says NBC, the longest love story of any President and First Lady. The two had six children- including former President George W. Bush and the 43rd Governor of Florida, John Ellis “Jeb” Bush- and 14 grandchildren.

“He held her hand all day today and was at her side when she left this good earth,” said Jean Becker, Mr. Bush’s chief of staff, of the former president’s love and loyalty on the day of her passing.

Ever since her husband’s time as Vice President under Ronald Reagan, Barbara Bush was a huge advocate for literacy. She founded the Barbara Bush Foundation for Family Literacy, according to USA Today, so that poorer parents could learn to read and then teach their kids to as well. Many looked up to her as one of the greatest First Ladies of all time, as seen through her fight against homelessness, AIDS, and other issues involving children and the elderly. In fact, back in 1989 she said that she hoped “people will say, ‘She cared; she worked hard for lots of causes.'”

“We’ll always be grateful to Mrs. Bush for the generosity she showed to us throughout our time in the White House but we’re even more grateful for the way she lived her life — as a testament to the fact that public service is an important and noble calling; as an example of the humility and decency that reflects the very best of the American spirit,” said former President Barack Obama in a statement on Twitter, thus fulfilling Bush’s wishes that she expressed back in the ’80’s.

42nd President Bill Clinton shared a similar post, saying “Barbara Bush was a remarkable woman. She had grit & grace, brains & beauty. She was fierce & feisty in support of her family & friends, her country & her causes. She showed us what an honest, vibrant, full life looks like. Hillary and I mourn her passing and bless her memory.”