CIA Director Meets With Kim Jong Un

More than two weeks ago, CIA Director Mike Pompeo travelled to North Korea to visit with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un. The meeting was made news when Donald Trump sent out a tweet which read “Mike Pompeo met with Kim Jong Un in North Korea last week. Meeting went very smoothly and a good relationship was formed. Details of Summit are being worked out now. Denuclearization will be a great thing for World, but also for North Korea!”

In his tweet, Trump is referring to the unprecedented upcoming summit between North Korea and the U.S. in which Trump plans to meet face to face with Kim Jong Un. It would be the first time that a sitting a U.S. President met with a North Korean leader.

News of the meeting comes as Pompeo is currently nominated to be the next Secretary of State and faces confirmation hearings from the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. News of the meeting will surely play a factor in how many votes Pompeo will get in the Senate. Pompeo is currently on thin ice after Republican Senator Rand Paul said he would vote ‘no’ on Pompeo’s confirmation, making it necessary for Pompeo to get at least some democratic votes.

It is unknown, however, what was discussed between Pompeo and Kim Jong Un, as neither side is disclosing the contents of their conversation. Many see the meeting as preliminary talks before Trump meets with Kim Jong Un, and a chance to understand each other’s talking points and stance beforehand, in order to make that meeting more productive.