Southwest Flight Has Engine Failures

U.S. NTSB investigators are on scene examining damage to the engine of the Southwest Airlines plane in this image released from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, U.S., April 17, 2018. NTSB/Handout via REUTERS ATTENTION EDITORS – THIS IMAGE HAS BEEN SUPPLIED BY A THIRD PARTY. TPX IMAGES OF THE DAY

On April 17th early morning, Southwest Airline had a plane that had a left engine failure. The engine exploded and hit a window which led a death to passenger and put other lives at risk. The plane started to land into ‘Philadelphia International Airport.’ There were 144 passengers and five crew members aboard.

As those aboard a Southwest Airlines jet frantically started putting oxygen masks on and helping others with theirs after the engine blew, passengers and crew members rushed to reach a woman in the 14th row. Jennifer Riordan was on Flight 1380 from New York to Dallas when the incident happened. After the plane window shattered next to her, Jennifer was nearly ejected from the plane. She was being sucked out head-first through the opening, even though she was wearing a seatbelt, according to investigators.

Tim McGinty of Hillsboro, Texas, tore his mask off and struggled to pull the woman in.”It seemed like two minutes and it seemed like two hours,” McGinty told reporters, a bandage on an arm he scraped while trying to save the woman.“Everyone on this flight I’m sure had thoughts that they weren’t going to make it,” Jennifer’s sister-in-law, Marianne said. “This man sitting next to his wife when he could have chosen to just stay with her and embrace her for what could be their last moments together, instead he chose to get up and save Jennifer, someone he didn’t even know.”

Once the plane touched ground safely in Philadelphia, fire trucks began extinguishing flames from the wing and medical attention was provided for the passengers. Passengers were evacuated from the plane and were placed in buses and moved to an empty terminal where they were given food and water and more medical attention.