Childish Gambino’s “This Is America” Is Now the No. 1 Song in the Country

In the first week of May, Donald Glover, also known as, Childish Gambino, blessed our ears when he dropped smash hit, “This Is America.” On Monday, May 14th, 2018, ‘This Is America,’ was officially the No. 1 song in the country. “It’s a rare feat for such an explicitly political song.”

“This Is America” dethroned Drake’s “Nice For What,” which ruled the Hot 100 for four weeks on the chart, dating to its No. 1 debut. Drake has been on the Hot 100 Billboard charts for 15 weeks overall, as, prior to “Nice For What,” he led for 11 weeks with “God’s Plan,” which also launched at No. 1 on the Billboard charts.

“This Is America” is Childish Gambino’s first Hot 100 No. 1, or even top 10. He hit a previous No. 12 Hot 100 around last August with his fourth and most recent entry on the chart, “Redbone,” which appeared on his “Awaken, My Love!” album, which dropped late 2016.

Glover performed the song when he was the musical guest on the May 5 episode of “Saturday Night Live” (which he also hosted). He debuted another new song called “Saturday” during the show, and left a sweet thank-you note to the ‘SNL‘ crew afterwards.

The video for the track has been viewed more than 110 million times in its first nine days and was YouTube’s most-watch clip on each of those. The track holds at No. 1 on Spotify’s Global Chart and U.S. Chart and also topped iTunes in 45 markets. Glover is also set to head on tour this fall with popular artists such as, Rae Sremmurd and Vince Staples.

You can watch the eye-opening video down below (link):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYOjWnS4cMY