Ranger Football Report: Struggles and Adversity

Ranger huddle.
    Ranger huddle.

It’s week 3 and the Rangers have back-to-back away games. The Ranger offense heads to Berea-Midpark looking to score their first points against a struggling defense. The Titans gave up 35 to Westlake and 49 to Strongsville. If the Rangers look to score and kick start their offense, they need to come out strong.

Two key weapon that needs to click are junior quarterback Albert Wilhelmy along with a relatively new line with James Morrissey at center, Spencer Reynolds at left tackle and Jayden Johnson at right tackle.

We talked to Reynolds about what the Rangers are working on this week in practice.”We are focusing on what we’re good at — perfecting our pass pro, and working on picking up blocks. Scoring this week and having a good day offensively would not only help us win, but it will give the team confidence for weeks to come.”

Practice this week was more than hot, with temperatures reaching over 90 degrees on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. With the humidity and the turf, the players on the Ranger football team try to progress in what feels like 103 degree weather. The coaches work with the players, understanding their struggles allowing them to spend more time at the watering tree and practice in either just shoulder pads or helmets.

We asked Senior Nate Bilski his thoughts on the heat. “It’s really hot. People don’t understand how hard it is to practice out here, especially being in our freezing school all day. We grind it out– it helps that the coaches are a little lenient. We hope that the weather will get better by Friday.”

The Rangers play their game on Friday at Baldwin Wallace. The players will suit up and get on the bus at 4:30 hoping to defeat the Titans. The theme for this weeks game is Neon. The team is eager to play and see a crowd of bright colors cheering them on.

UPDATE: The final score was Berea-Midpark 50 – Lakewood 12.