Hurricane Florence: What Happened and What We can do

At the end of August, the National Weather Services spotted a potential tropical storm that was located in the eastern Atlantic Ocean with winds that kept up to 30 mph. The storm has an 80% chance of developing into something more with in 48 hours. Only a day later was when it developed into a tropical depression, passing through the Cape Verde islands.

On September 1, the National Weather service dubbed the tropical storm as Florence. Three days later, Florence shed the title of a tropical storm and grew into the more well deserved title of hurricane. The hurricane managed to pack winds of 75 mph. It was the third hurricane to form during the 2018 Atlantic hurricane seasons.

Over the course of the next two weeks, Hurricane Florence jumped through the categories. After first it was pronounced a category 1 and the only days later it jumped from a 2 to a 4 and then back to a three. Florence reached peaked winds at about 140 mph but once those winds started to decrease, it continued with a width of 350 miles.

What was left after the peak of the storm is unfathomable, let alone bearable to the people who live in the Carolina’s. Across North Carolina, there have been 500,000 power outages since the storm took full effect. Footage has been taken of flood homes and streets, downed trees and scattered debris.

A number of residents opted out not to evacuate, ending up to sit on their roofs or stay inside their houses. Rescuers are swamped with calls, becoming easily overwhelmed with the calls for help and the knowledge that the storm is far from over. However, it doesn’t stop them from making bold rescues of everyone, including infants, teenagers and the elderly- animals that were left behind by owners as well.

The death toll is up to 35.

At the start if the hurricane, Direct Relief, an international humanitarian organization, has been passing out hurricane related medicines and supplies in high risk areas.

The American Red Cross and The Salvation Army are currently accepting donations. Google also announced a 2 million dollar fundraising campaign in support of the Red Cross. The company is now matched up with a total of $1 million, all of which will assist in the relief effort.