The Benefits of Music

Have you ever been told that listening to music distracts you and is not good for you? Well, the final results are in… Crank those tunes and blast those beats because music is good for you! There are hundreds of different ways that music can help you and your lifestyle.

One benefit of music is it improves your overall mood. It can benefit your overall well-being and regulate your emotions. It also creates happiness and relaxation in your everyday life.

Another positive benefit of music is that it relieves stress and anxiety. As of 2015, 11.7 million children (including teenagers) have been diagnosed with anxiety and/or depression according to kids data news. You may be wondering how music may help with these serious illnesses, right? Well, what music does is it triggers the brain to release more amounts of dopamine than what is normally released. Dopamine is a chemical released in the brain that makes you feel good, which is why it is commonly refereed to as the “feel good,” chemical. When this happens it causes you to, well, feel good or better than how you were feeling good!

One last positive of listening to music is that it improves our memory and could also help people with Alzheimer’s and Dementia. When we listen to or perform a good tune, neural pathways all over our brain light up like a Christmas tree! Music stimulates, not just one, but both sides of the brain. It activates the areas of the brain that are associated with the emotional, cognitive, and memory processing areas of the brain. Music therapy is used all over the world to help with patients diagnosed with cognitive diseases.

Music is a beautiful thing. It helps improve the lifestyle of countless numbers of people all over the world. It is not just a way of expression, but it is also used to help with poor states of mental health. Music even improves the life of many student at Lakewood High School. “It distracts you from all of the stresses of school and life. It is a peaceful escape from reality,” says senior Katie Booth. Music can do as little as put a smile on your face and give you butterflies or do as much as helping an elder with a disease they cannot control. Music is good for the soul, literally.