Murder of Bulgarian journalist

Murder of Bulgarian journalist

On Saturday October 6th, 2018, a Bulgarian Journalist by the name of Viktoria Marinova was found dead in a pedestrian alley, within the foliage and vegetation. Marinova was only 30 at the time of her death. She worked for a news agency, called TVN, where she was a broadcaster for them.

The case has stirred suspicions because of the reports that Marinova has recently made. Before her death she anchored the program Detector. The program interviewed journalists about the alleged corruption in the European Union. This is not the first journalist killed this year; Marinova is the third well-known reporter to be murdered in the European Union in the past twelve months. (A Maltese journalist Daphne Caruana Golizia was the victim of a car bomb and a Slovakian journalist Jan Kuciak and his fiancée were gunned down.)

A suspect by the name of Severin Krasimirov has been detained in Stade Germany by the German police. He left Bulgaria in hopes to stay in Germany the day after Miss Marinova’s death. He was suspected to have attacked Viktoria Marinova while she was running in a park that rested against the Danube river in the Bulgarian city Ruse. He will face extradition for accused rape and murder under a European arrest warrant. “The case of the murder of television presenter Viktoria Marinova has revealed the huge of lack of trust in Bulgaria’s institutions both within the country and abroad” President Roumen Radev said on October 14 (The Sofia Globe).

As the trial for Severin Krasimirov awaits, German authorities will continue to gather evidence relating him to Miss Marinova’s death.