Bohemian Rhapsody

Bohemian Rhapsody

On Friday, November 2nd, Bohemian Rhapsody was released for the first time in the United States. Bohemian Rhapsody is a biographical film about the band Queen. Queen is a British rock band who performed their first gig together in 1970, and continues to perform to this day. Bohemian Rhapsody focuses on the story of Queen’s lead singer, Freddie Mercury.

Freddie Mercury was born in 1946 in Tanzania, originally named Farrokh Bulsara. He later moved from India to England in his late teens. Freddie was able to join the band Smile after their lead singer, Tim Staffell, quit to join another band. Smile soon became Queen, with the final addition of John Deacon in 1971. Queen quickly gained attention, signing with Trident Studios only two years later.

In 1975, the most well-known Queen song, Bohemian Rhapsody, came out on the album ‘A Night at the Opera’. The movie focuses on the creation and controversy of the song and the rest of the album. Especially focusing on how most people thought that the song was flop and that know one would like to listen to it. The rest of the movie is focused on Freddie Mercury’s personal challenges; this includes his sexuality, solo career and drug abuse.

Bohemian Rhapsody tells the story of a courageous band that continued to break any barriers that faced them. It is a great way to see how some of the world’s best rock anthems came to be. As Lakewood resident, Clara McGuan, says, “Bohemian Rhapsody is a fantastic movie and I would recommend it to everyone.”