Avocados Recalled in 6 States Due to Listeria Concerns

A California-based avocado company has reported that they are voluntarily recalling their California-grown avocados over fears of possible Listeria contamination.

Henry Avocado Corporation has decided to recall avocados from at least six states due to tests that came back positive for Listeria, according to Fox News Network. Listeria traces were found on environment samples that were obtained during routine testing. These tests were performed at their California packing facility.

The recalled packages of the products were distributed in California, Arizona, Florida, New Hampshire, North Carolina, and Wisconsin.  According to Fox News, there have yet to be any reported illnesses. All shipments from the facility are subject to recall. The company did not begin packing there until late January.

“We are voluntarily recalling our products and taking every action possible to ensure safety of consumers who eat our avocados,” said Phil Henry, the president of Henry Avocado Corporation.

The company also reported that the avocados that are imported from Mexico, under the company, will not be recalling those because they tested negative for Listeria. The Henry Avocado Company is urging people to return their product as soon as possible.

Lakewood High School senior Alexis Hathaway said,”I sure will be checking my avocados and where they came from as soon as possible. I will make sure to take them back to where I purchased them from and get my money back. I do not want to take any chances and get sick!”

Symptoms for Listeria include fever, muscle aches, headaches, stiff neck, confusion, and loss of balance. Listeria bacteria is especially concerning to pregnant women. This is because they can cause miscarriages, stillbirth, or premature delivery. This is not something one should take lightly.