Netflix’s On My Block – Season 2

Netflixs On My Block - Season 2

If you’ve seen season one of On My Block, you’re probably excited when season two will come out. But alas, season two of On My Block has finally arrived with more drama, romance, comedy and banging soundtrack.

For those of you who don’t know about On My Block or what’s it about, you should probably accustomed to it. Trust me, it’s that good. In this coming-of-age story, Cesar (Diego Tinoco), Monse (Sierra Capri), Ruby (Jason Genao), and Jamal (Brett Gray), are four teenagers navigating their way through high school and trying to find who they are and what they want in life as they grow up faster than they might like in a rough South Central Los Angeles neighborhood. Friendships are tested, love is found and challenges of adolescence and life in their Hispanic and Black community.

As last season left you with many questions, unfortunately, so will the ending of season two, but don’t worry! You get a good look inside season two, with many shocks and surprises.

It’s very likely that there will be a renewal for season three, especially with the questioning at the end, but as of right now, nothing has been official. Last year, Netflix renewed On My Block for season two a month after the shows release. It is also probable that we will have to wait the end of April or beginning of May to hear the announcement of the shows future.

“On My Block” // Credit: Netflix

“With Jasmine, in Season 1, she was very funny. She was very comedic. But [in Season 2] we wanted to show her layers, her depth, what’s underneath the skin, so to speak. So, we got to explore her more,” screenwriter, Eddie Gonzalez said. “Fully dimensionalizing people is very important to us.” – IndieWire

I feel that including more of Jasmine in season two than in season one was very important and a great addition to the show. It added layers to the character showing that there’s more to Jasmine than just being annoying, hormonal and always using her inhaler, thus since she has asthma.

“When it comes to that potential third season, Haft said that beyond the cliffhanger, “You’re going to see people really come into their own in Season 3. You saw Monse basically telling the boys, ‘You know what? I’m tired of being on your team. It’s time to be on Team Monse.’ So, you’re going to see her come into her own in Season 3. I’ll leave that to your interpretation of what that means.”

One aspect of the series that has pleasantly surprised the creators, from the beginning, was the passion of their fan base, as well as how diverse it is. “We have adults who are 40 and 50 years old, to little kids, telling us that for the first time ever, they see themselves on TV,” Haft said. “Imagine being a 40 or 50-year-old, and this is the first time you’ve seen an authentic character represent you or your friends or your neighborhood. That means a lot.

Gonzalez agreed. “What really surprised me is when we would have these DMs on Twitter coming from kids in India, or Brazil, or the UK, and they’re saying something about how they see themselves in Jamal or Ruby. I thought it would connect with kids in the inner city, I thought it would connect with a lot of different people — but not to that extent.” – IndieWire

“It’s an entertaining show that demonstrates growing up in a city like Los Angeles while keeping its comedic values. I’d recommend watching to a friend.” – Chris L., LHS Senior.

Make sure to check out the season soundtrack playlist on Spotify or even Apple Music.