Lakewood Raises The Age To Purchase Tobacco Products To The Age Of 21.

As of March 1st, 2019 the City Council of Lakewood approved legislation to raise the minimum age for the sale of all tobacco and nicotine products. They have decided that the legal age to purchase these items is now 21.

This change has taken place to make a meaningful difference in kids health and help the future of the young people who belong to the Lakewood community.

Tobacco kills over 480,000 people in the United States each year and more than 95% of addicted smokers start before the age of 21. The developing teenage brain is particularly vulnerable to the effects of nicotine.

About 350 young people become regular smokers each day in the United States.  The new ordinance will provide fines and take a retailers permit to sell tobacco and nicotine products if they fail to comply with the new requirements.

Early exposure to tobacco products before the age of 21 truly does have a big effect on the beginning stages of addiction. General awareness of the negative health impacts of tobacco use has increased, and the overall use of tobacco has decreased, however that may start to change if the use of tobacco is continued among teens.

The risk of addiction puts adolescents at a higher risk for health issues such as depression, substance abuse and anxiety.

Sophomore MaryClaire Rossen feels that “This is a good decision because you won’t have to start and get addicted at a young age.”

Freshman Suehayla Salti believes that “This is the right choice because it gives health benefits to underaged students.”