Cleveland Indian’s Pitcher Breaks Arm

On May 1st, Cleveland Indian’s pitcher Corey Kluber broke his arm. Kluber started the game against the Miami Marlins at Marlins Park. Everything was going smoothly until the 5th inning, when Brain Anderson came up to the plate.

Anderson hit a 102-miles-per-hour drive that struck Kluber in the right arm. Kluber immediately left the game and went to get x-rays. The x-rays showed that Kluber suffered a non-displaced fracture of his right ulna bone. This basically means that Kluber broke his pitching arm.

The Indians have not stated how long it will take for Kluber to recover from this injury. If everything goes according to plan and Kluber heals well, it will take about three months for him to return. Those three months would include time for the bone to heal, and time for him to do a second training. This would hopefully put him back into the rotation around August. But this is only the best case scenario; it could take longer.

This injury could not come at a worst time for the Indians. As a two-time Cy Young winner, Corey Kluber was the Cleveland Indian’s ace. Even though he had a rough start this year, he is still a pitcher that is very hard to replace. Also, Corey Kluber is not the only starting pitcher to be suffering from an injury. The Cleveland Indians 4th starter, Mike Clevinger, is currently out because of a back injury.

The Indians will now have to pull up players to replace their two missing starters, which could have a negative effect on the likelihood of winning games. When Lakewood High School student, Annika Mintzlaff, heard about the injury she said, “Having Corey Kluber out until at least August will really hurt the Indians. Hopefully they will be able to find a decent replacement.”