2019 Met Gala

2019 Met Gala

On May 6th, the annual Met Gala took place at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York. This gala is an annual fundraiser for the Costume Institute in the museum; it typically is the “grand opening” of the fashion reveal.

Every year the gala has a theme that those who attend are supposed to dress in. The 2019 theme was camp; no not like camping out in the woods with a tent and a sleeping bag. Camp has more of an artistic feel, it means to please the aesthetic. In this case, to be over the top, an exaggeration in style, or what we like to say in today’s world– to be “extra”.

Some celebrities definitely surpassed the theme idea and went to the extreme; some on the other hand had no correlation to the presented theme. Some of the best dressed according to Vogue was Lady Gaga with four different outfits, Harry Styles in Gucci, Billy Porter with his entourage carrying him in, Ryan Murphy covered in sparkles, and Jennifer Lopez in over 240,000 crystals from head to toe.

Some of the most poorly dressed on the red carpet would be Gwyneth Paltrow, James Charles, Kim Kardashian, Nicki Minaj, and Frank Ocean according to Twitter.

The best and the worst dressed is obviously an opinion, of course.

Jenna Madgar, an interested fashionista, stated, ” I was highly impressed with the outfits worn to the gala this year. I feel the theme could be taken in many different ways, but was accomplished well by the majority. No such thing as being too “extra” in my world.”