Colorado School Shooting

On Tuesday, May 7th, a little before 2 pm shots fired at a STEM charter school with more than 1,850 students kindergarten through 12th grade in a suburb of Highlands Ranch, Colorado. When the police call came in, and they arrived at the school, shots were still being fired.

Two students are suspects in this shooting. Sources say they walked into opposite sides of the building minutes before shots fired. When students were taken into custody no struggle was presented and in the school, only one handgun was found. Shooters were identified as one male juvenile and the second suspect was Devon Erikson 18.

Erikson did not take a plea deal with the court, and bail wasn’t allowed due to charges still not filled. Erikson is facing one count of murder in the first degree, and 29 counts of attempted murder in the first degree, sentencing is this Friday.

John Castillo father of Kendrick Castillo the 18-year-old student who died spoke on his son’s death. “Be selfless, that’s what my son was, and it got him killed but he saved others.” Kendrick ran up to the shooter to save other students, and got shot in the process and died. When parents found out, they were happy because they raised him to be a good person, but part of them wishes he had run to save himself. Kendrick Castillo died a hero.

Senior Molly Roche said, “The shooter never should have been able to access a gun in the first place. It’s sad that students and teachers ever have to go through something like this.”

Brenden Bialy, an aspiring Marine helped take down STEM school shooter. Marine Corp spoke on Bialy, saying him risking his own safety to save others is admirable and inspiring. Bialy risking his safety resulted in the safety of many students and teachers at the school. Bialy is scheduled to ship to recruit training this summer.