Faith Patton

Faith Patton

I’ve only been attending Lakewood High School for 2 years and it’s no joke that it goes by quickly. The change from going to a small school with about 450 students to a much larger school with about 1,500 students was something that so terrifying. It’s still hard to comprehend that I’m graduating.

I thought I knew what I wanted when I went into my Freshman year at my old school. Thinking back, there was an amount of self-doubt in the transition from 8th grade to high school. Am I making the right decision? Will I still have the same friends I did in middle school? What if I absolutely hate it but I’m stuck there? To be honest, I felt like I had to go there because pretty much all of my friends were and my siblings had attended and graduated there.

At this point, I’m supposed to offer advice that will maybe get you through the next few years. But here’s some piece of mind, first.

It’s totally okay to not know what you want and it’s also okay to change your mind a few times over. Most people who are in high school have only a scrap of an idea of who they are and what they want to do. I thought I wanted to go to Lutheran West and graduate from there. It was during my sophomore year I realized how miserable I was and that I wanted to leave.

But, while it’s okay to not know, there is a point where you have to make a decision. Do I wanna go away to college or do I wanna stay home? Should I enlist in the Air Force or get a job straight out of high school. When people ask what your major in college will be or what college you want to go to, they are just looking to see if you are thinking about it. And not thinking about it isn’t the smartest thing in the work.

However, I do have some advice.

1. Don’t do anything stupid.

2. Let what’s in the past stay in the past. See: Jurassic Park and every time time travel movie.

3. Educate yourself. About anything and as much as you can.

4. If something takes 5 minutes to do, do it now. Trust me, no one likes little things piling up.

5. Do everything with the authenticity of one’s self and integrity.