Students Should be Able to Order Outside Food

It’s not rare to hear of students complaining about how bad the school lunches are. They’re normally drenched in mystery liquid and crunchy in places they shouldn’t be. If we aren’t allowed to go out for an open lunch, then why aren’t we allowed to order in?

I don’t see any issue with students calling or ordering online, as long as they do so in a non-disruptive way. If it’s a teacher’s policy that they can’t order out, so be it, but it shouldn’t be a school rule that we aren’t allowed.

Let’s say that some students wish to have an end of year party in one of their classes. Why aren’t they allowed to order from whatever restaurant Uber Eats or DoorDash or GrubHub has to offer? These apps allow you to schedule when you want your food to arrive, so there’s no waiting to see the infamous “I’m outside” message from the driver.

There are a few pros to letting students decide on what they get to eat, whether it be an open lunch or being able to order in. One of which is money management.

You can set yourself a budget of how much you want to let yourself spend, helping you figure out how you want to manage your money. Another pro to this is giving students the feeling of freedom within a school environment, something that we rarely get to feel within a school. We’d also learn a good lesson in planning ahead of time. If we’re able to schedule for when we can expect an order to be put in, then we can plan around that small time window.

“It would be cool if we were able to use our own resources to order what we want,” said Paige Turcotte.

Regardless, I don’t think that it should be a school rule against it, more so a policy that varies from teacher to teacher.