Register to Vote in the Primary Election

The primary election is fast-approaching and so is the deadline to register to vote.

On March 17, Ohioans will take to the polls to vote for presidential nominees–but, before they can do so, they must be registered to vote by Monday, February 17.

Any United States citizen who will be 18 by Tuesday, November 3 (the date of the presidential election) is eligible to vote in the primaries and is encouraged to register as soon as possible. There are multiple ways to do so, including an online option. Simply head over to the Ohio Secretary of State’s website and follow the steps on the screen, and be sure to have an official form of identification and the last four digits of your social security number on hand. Those looking to register can also visit the Cuyahoga County Board of Elections website to print a paper ballot at home or at the library.

Voters will receive a piece of mail with instructions on how to vote on election day, including where and when to go to the polls. Worried you won’t make it to an election site on March 17? There is another option! An absentee ballot (which allows citizens to vote by mail) application is available through the Board of Elections, and must be received by the Saturday before the election.

“It is very important that you vote if you are able to!” says LHS senior Julian Dirse. “It might not seem like it, but your vote will make a difference.”

No matter who you plan to vote for, please make the effort to make your voice heard in this upcoming election. It is the duty of every citizen of the United States to play a role in the governing of our democracy!