Big Trade Alert

On Thursday, January 14, the Cleveland Indians traded Carlos Carrasco and the obvious face of the franchise, Fransisco Lindor. In return, they received from the New York Mets shortstops Ahmed Rosario, Andrés Giménez, and minor leaguers ranked number nine and ten Josh Wolf and Isiah Greene.

The Mets general manager Joey Porter may have made the biggest move of the off-season by acquiring generational talent in Fransisco Lindor, shortstop of the Cleveland Indians. In the Cleveland lineup, he was that spark plug that they needed, having four all-star appearances, three seasons with thirty plus home run seasons, and a career average of 285 batting average.

Also, the New York Mets will be receiving 33-year-old Carlos Carrasco. He is a surviving cancer patient and pitches at a high level. He has had multiple seasons that have been close to 20-win seasons.

In Cleveland’s defense, Fransisco Lindor’s contract is set to expire at the end of the 2021 season. So he was likely projected to sign with a bigger market team than Cleveland anyways.

The Cleveland Indians have also received Amed Rosario, a shortstop of the New York Mets. Amed is a 25-year-old who haws some bursts of energy on the field and a close to 200-hit season in 2019.

The most attractive pieces of the deal for the Indians, though, were Andrés Giménez and Isiah Greene. Andrés Giménez is also a shortstop from the New York Mets and ranked 63rd in the top 100 prospects of the whole league. Isiah Greene is a 19-year-old outfielder that has just been drafted this year with the 63rd pick.

With this trade, the Indians are planning for their future and they have acquired some pretty good talents.