From Classroom to Concert

When you think of the Lakewood Civic Auditorium, what is the first thing that comes to mind? To most of us, the Civic is just a part of the school. It is a classroom to the music students. It is where all our assemblies are held. It is the home to all of our choir, band and orchestra concerts — as well as the Lakewood Project.

To most of us, the fact that the civic is a venue seems to slip our minds. Musical artists like Fifth Harmony, Sara Bareilles and most recently, Troye Sivan, have been on the same stage where band and orchestra perform every day. One could go from playing their instrument on stage that day to later that night being able to watch their favorite artist perform on the same stage.  The Australian singer, Troye Sivan, is currently traveling all around America on the tour, Suburbia and last Thursday’s stop — Lakewood Civic Auditorium.

To experience a concert in the same place where you perform every single day becomes unreal. To look around the room and see the place you are so familiar with, but this time it is not with violin and viola cases sitting on the chairs, but rather, a room full of people who all gathered here to see the same person perform. Suddenly, this place you are so familiar with transforms into just another venue.