Maggie Rogers: a New Voice of the Music Industry

Not being a household name, “Maggie Rogers” may not ring a bell like “Taylor Swift” does- at least not yet. Late May of this year, the singer was discovered by Pharrell Williams when her single “Alaska” moved him to tears. Soon, the video of the two listening to the song at Pharell’s Masterclass at New York University went viral, as the website Pitchfork reports. Soon enough, “Alaska” and Rogers’s newest song, “Dog Years,” were featured on NPR, and she was recently announced as a part of BBC’s Music Sound of 2017 longlist according to her Instagram. As if that weren’t enough, she was named a “Vevo dscvr Ones to Watch” in the past couple of days. Between now and May, Maggie Rogers has already gone on a four-stop tour in Europe, and a United States and Europe tour are planned for early 2017, with many concerts already sold out According to her Facebook, among the cities that she is visiting are Baltimore, Maryland; Nashville, Tennessee; Columbus, Ohio; Paris, France; and London, UK. Additionally, a music video for “Alaska” has already been released and one for “Dog Years” is in the makings, with her views racking up to over a million on YouTube.

If her growing popularity and high-status titles aren’t enough to impress, her gorgeous and thoughtful song lyrics certainly are. Her songs include beautiful lyrics such as, “I walked off you/and I walked off an old me,” and, “I’ll still stay/inside your mind/for all of time.” After all, they have to be this mind blowing to have made the legendary Pharrell Williams cry. So even though the words “Justin Bieber” or “Miley Cyrus” are spoken more than “Maggie Rogers,” that could all change for the better.