Streep’s Golden Globe

Streeps Golden Globe

On January 8th, during the 74th annual Golden Globe Awards, Meryl Streep was honored for her accomplishments in her impressive acting career by receiving the Cecil B. DeMille Award. During her acceptance speech, she took the time to call on the American people and ask that we all come together and respect each other. She references President-elect Trump’s apparent mocking of a disabled reporter and says, “this instinct, to humiliate, when it’s modeled by someone in the public platform, by someone powerful, it filters down into everybody’s life, because it kind of gives permission for other people to do the same thing. Disrespect invites disrespect. Violence incites violence. When the powerful use their position to bully others, we all lose…” 

Unsurprisingly, Donald Trump took to Twitter early the next day to express his feelings about Streep’s comments. Trump tweeted, “Meryl Streep, one of the most over-rated actresses in Hollywood, doesn’t know me but attacked last night at the Golden Globes. She is a Hillary flunky who lost big. For the 100th time, I never “mocked” a disabled reporter (would never do that)…” 

Though Streep’s comments may have been the most widely-recognized of the night, she was not the only one who inserted some political sentiment into an acceptance speech. Viola Davis, Tracee Ellis Ross, Hugh Laurie, and Zootopia director Bryon Howard all added their own political opinions to the mix.

Meryl Streep concluded her speech on Sunday night with a reference to Carrie Fisher: “Take your broken heart and make it into art.”