Nick Ferrone, Evan Gainous, Colman McGuan, Preston Polen

Every sport takes commitment. Most sports tend to require the same commitment, but there is something different about swimming. When you’re a swimmer you have to really love what you’re doing. The Lakewood swim team has nine, two-hour practices during the week. Swimmers all love to compete, but training is the hard part. These practices are not fun, they’re hard. Swimmers don’t get to run plays, and have fun with their friends. You are in a lane for two hours swimming back and forth, most people would get very bored very fast. You have to have the mindset of knowing that if you push yourself or your breaking point it will pay off. On January 14th, 2017 four boys proved their dedication to this sport. Nicholas Ferrone, Evan Gainous, Colman McGuan, and Preston Polen broke the 21 year old school record for the 200 free relay, their time was 1:32.42. They have been working for three years to break this record and the moment they did they were euphoric. These four boys have pushed themselves past their breaking point, but they are proof that it pays off. The swim family is very proud of our boys, and can’t wait to see what else they will accomplish this year. 

“Breaking the school record was really exciting! It’s so surreal that our names will be on a record board I have always looked up to.” -Nick Ferrone

“So happy that my teammates and my hard work has given us a spot on the record board together.” -Evan Gainous

“This was definitely the highlight of my season. I’m excited to break it again at districts, and hopefully make states.” -Colman McGuan

“I was extremely surprised when I ooked up at the time and saw that we had gone 1:32.42, and I thought for a secons, because at that point I had completely forgotten what the record was. But upon talking to my coach and discovering that we finally did it, I just let out a huge scream followed by a sigh of relief.” -Preston Polen