The Oscars Mix-Up

The Oscars Mix-Up

At the 89th Academy Awards on February 26th, 2017, La La Land almost won Best Picture. Presenters Faye Dunaway and Warren Beatty announced that La La Land had won the impressive award, but realized they actually read out the wrong winner only after the cast and crew had come on stage and started their acceptance speeches.

It turns out that the announcers had been given the wrong envelope that was supposed to be used to announce Emma Stone as Best Actress. Apparently, it was a crew member’s responsibility to make sure that the right envelopes ended up with the right people at the right time. Later, an official statement was announced that said that the company entrusted to manage the envelopes was at fault for the mix-up.

Though the accident was not very funny to those involved, the internet has taken the opportunity to make the situation into a plethora of memes. Most notably are the ones that single out Steve Harvey and poke fun at his infamous mix-up when announcing the winner of Miss Universe.

The actual winner of the Best Picture category is Moonlight, directed by Barry Jenkins. In his acceptance speech he made sure to recognize the cast and crew of La La Land, while simultaneously expressing his disbelief concerning the events that had just occurred.

Hopefully this crazy accident makes those in charge of coordinating awards shows more careful, so that the roller coaster of of emotions of those involved and of the viewers at home is ended.