Trump plans to cut funding to the Great Lakes.

The Great Lakes have gone through some rough times and the EPA is trying to restore the ecosystem. Both parties in congress agree to allow $300 million to be sent to the Great Lakes Restoration Initiative every year. This helps with invasive species, falling water levels, eroding shorelines, toxic clean ups, contaminated tributaries, save Great Lakes shorebirds from fatal outbreaks of disease, control algae blooms and prevent beach closings.

President Trump has proposed to cut most of the funding from this program to put the money into the military. In the process he will  be cutting many more programs to get the $54 billion he says he needs. Our military is already bigger than all the other militaries combined on the planet, there is no need for extra spending, especially when there is no known use for the money yet.

The new head of the EPA, Scott Pruitt  has vowed to protect the great lakes as best he can. The project requires the full $300 million each year. Last year Obama attempted  to lower the budget to $250 million and was heavily criticized.  Congress never agreed with Obama and the budget stayed the same. President Trump’s proposition will still have to pass through congress, hopefully they care about the environment more than Trump.