Kendall Jenner’s Pepsi Ad

Kendall Jenner is the focus of a controversy that was sparked by her recent commercial for Pepsi. In the advertisement, Kendall was shown leaving a photo shoot and handing out cans Pepsi to police officers during a protest that was believed to be reminiscent of a Black Lives Matter demonstration. Once the Pepsi was given to the officer, the protesters erupted into a roar of approval. The backlash toward this ad was started because of people who claimed it was “tone-deaf to the Black Lives Matter movement.” At first, Pepsi defended the advertisement, but they have since pulled the ad off of the air.

Kendall is apparently distraught now, and she is trying to deal with all of the criticism she’s been receiving. She plans on lying low and waiting for the issue to die down. She has been relying on her family for their support. A source told People that Kendall loves modeling and she was extremely excited to get the gig for the commercial. She hopes that people know that she was not a part of the creative process for the ad and she apologizes to those who were offended.

Pepsi has also commented on the incident and has said, “Pepsi was trying to project a global message of unity, peace and understanding. Clearly we missed the mark, and we apologize. We did not intend to make light of any serious issue. We are removing the content and halting any further rollout. We also apologize for putting Kendall Jenner in this position.” Clearly, the general public did not interpret the advertisement the way that it was intended to.