Girl’s Rugby Takes on Joes on Wednesday

The Lakewood Girl’s Rugby team have had a good season so far with a 2-1 record.

Two Fridays ago, they suffered a loss to the Hudson team out in Hudson. The game was a test of physical and mental strength for our Lakewood girls. The final score was a heart wrenching 14-10. With about five minutes in the last half, the Lakewood Girl’s tried their hardest to score once more but sadly could not.

This coming Wednesday, the Lakewood Girls will have another big game against their rival team St. Joes. The Jaguars have won every game in their season this year so far, but the Lakewood Girls plan to change that. The game is at 6:00pm at Garfield stadium.

The game was planned to be on Sunday April 23rd, but due to spring break vacations, the game was rescheduled.

Captains Jordan Brenot and Layana Perry plan to carry their team to the state championship for the second year in a row. They also plan to win states and go from second to first this year.

With the summer league coming up, some of the Lakewood girls tried out for the Celtics Elite team this past Saturday. The word has not come on whether they have made it or not, but it will soon and they will have to commit to the team by May First. They team will be coached by the Joes and Lakewood Coaches. They are a travel team and their tournaments are in June.

Rugby is a game where there is a family within the teams. With Celtics, the coaches pick the best of the best out of the number of players who chose to try out. They will become one team from many cities and rivalries between the girls become friendships instead.

Good luck to the girls that tried out. “May the odds be ever in your favor.”- The Hunger Games