Colors That Won’t Change In Different Light

Colors That Wont Change In Different Light

Researchers at The University of Akron created a team that made a structural-colored material that shows a consistent color from any viewing direction. This idea was inspired by the hair of blue tarantulas. This new finding now goes against the knowledge that long-range structures are always luminous. Bill Hsiung and his partners at The University of Akron, Ghent University, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology and the University of Nebraska-Lincoln have now published their research. Their research was featured on the cover of Advanced Optical Materials, which was released in January 2017.

According to LiveScicence.com, Bill Hsiung, the lead author of the research in the Integrated Bio-science Ph.D program at UA said, “Structural  colors are more vibrant and durable than the pigments used in most of human-made products. They are produced by optical effects when light interacts with nano-structures that are about the same size as the wavelength of light. Think of a peacock, or a butterfly. The problem is that most structural colors are strongly iridescent, changing color when viewed from different angles. It’s beautiful out in nature, but not very functional when we’re watching television and we move to a new seat.”

This highly intelligent team first discovered that a majority of blue tarantulas do not show iridescence even though the tarantulas use the nano-structures to create those colors. Understanding that the spiders blue color in not iridescent, Hsiung’s group suggested that this same process could be used to create pigment that never fades, also to help reduce the glare on viewing systems such as televisions and other viewing devices.