Prom Tragedy

Prom+Tragedy

Early Sunday morning around 3:00am, Senior Chase Johnson and Junior Lindsey Rotuno  of Grafton were heading home from an after-prom event at the Strongsville recreation center.

Johnson was driving the 2007 Saturn Ion. He claims he fell asleep at the wheel and his car took off into a grassy median and struck two utility poles.

Rotuno was not wearing her seatbelt, which could have saved her life that fatal night. Johnson was wearing a seatbelt which protected him from flying out of his windshield and from fatal injuries. However, Johnson is believed to be in critical condition but no other word has come on how he is doing now.

A limo driver named Roberto Voicu was driving some teens home from after-prom when he came upon the aftermath of the accident. He tried to perform CPR until the ambulances and help got there.

Rotuno passed away at the hospital due to fatal injuries.

A vigil was held at Midview High school on Monday. Parents Tony and Tracie Rotuno walked to the fifty-yard line. They stood in front of hundreds of weeping and uncontrollable teenagers in distress.

Father and loving husband Tony Rotuno stood in front of the crowd and spoke:“I want to thank everyone for coming out for my baby girl,” he said, acknowledging his family, Tomasheski, the school and students before breaking down. “I miss my baby.”

Tony ran to the stands after the vigil to comfort and grieve with some of the friends of Lindsey.

After the heart wrenching vigil, the students and Lindsey’s family released purple balloons (Lindsey’s favorite color) and walked around to the front of the school to see the athletic rock painted purple also.

Lindsey will forever be in our hearts and minds.