Hurricane Irma

Hurricane+Irma

With wind speeds of over 100 miles per hour, rains battering the coast of Puerto Rico, and 900,000 people without power, Hurricane Irma is said to be bigger than Hurricane Harvey. Hurricane Irma is one of three hurricanes in the Atlantic basin. This is the first time since 2010 that three hurricanes have been active in this part of the Atlantic. In Irma’s core, winds are sustaining speeds of 185 miles an hour, and these life-threatening speeds are predicted to continue through the hurricane’s life span.

According to the UK’s Express website, Irma is expected to register a category 4+ through its life-cycle. This may cause more damage to other states and territories because of how fast this particular hurricane evolved. Irma evolved from a tropical storm to a category two hurricane within twenty-four hours.

Irma made landfall Monday, September 11th in the northeast corner of Florida causing severe floods. It was deemed a category 4 hurricane when it hit the Florida Keys, then Irma was downgraded to a tropical storm as it made its way to Georgia and South Carolina.

According to CBS News, at least ten people have lost their lives so far. The National Hurricane Center also stated that Irma has become a post-tropical cyclone and is making its way to Tennessee, moving northwest through the southeast United States, weakening as it goes. The storm left dozens dead when it tore through the southeast United States.

As this storm lessens some people are able to return to their homes and to their lives. When hurricane Irma made landfall, Florida Governor Rick Scott urged 6.5 million Florida residents to leave their homes and be cautious when returning their homes. Hurricanes like Irma and Katrina tend to have effects even after they hit. Jammed roadways, widespread power outages and standing water can complicate hurricane victims lives further.

Irma wiped out mass amounts of vegetation in the Galapagos and Puerto Rico. Satellite images show that these islands are brown and appear smaller. Irma’s powerful winds and massive floods caused forests and farmland to wash away.

With Global Warming increasing temperatures in the hurricane basins, more of these types of natural disasters will happen. These temperatures will continue to increase and more tropical storms will evolve. Mass amounts of people and animals will be displaced and many are still trying to get back to their normal lives after Irma and Harvey.

You can help these victims by donating money to the Red Cross and other organizations to help people and animals that have been effected by these natural disasters. With your support, they can return to their lives and remain safe.