Trees for Suburban Areas

Trees for Suburban Areas

Lakewood is fairly small and very crowded. But one of the greatest things about the city is that we still manage to save room for green spaces, whether it be in one of the parks or in people’s front lawns. But there are some issues that come along with this.

One of the problems here is that all the big trees were all planted within the same time period, so a certain time period later is when they all start to die at the same time. We need to stagger our tree planting if we want to avoid having all-or-nothing tall trees.

But we’ve all noticed that some of the trees that were planted here are not thriving, and it’s not always because of old age. People certainly should not chop down any living trees, but if one is already dead there should be careful consideration of what kind to plant in its place. There are certain tree types that are better for suburban areas, and if we start planting them more here the wildlife in our city could be healthier. Here are some of them that you might not have heard of:

1. A Crabapple Tree: These gnarled-branched trees have beautiful flowers in the spring and fruit well into autumn. They are especially good if you are worried about storms bringing big trees down on your house; most do not grow past 15 feet high. Just make sure to choose a variety that isn’t vulnerable to disease.
    2. Ginkgo: This tree is not native to Ohio, but it can live almost anywhere. It is not sensitive to dry or somewhat bad soil, and will grow to be very tall. Its leaves resemble little fans, perfect for shade in the summer and which turn beautiful shades in the fall.
    3. Linden Tree: This tree is a bit sensitive to certain soil types, but is perfect if you are looking for a small and pretty tree. It usually turns out to be very symmetrical, and has fragrant flowers that blossom in late spring.