Lakewood Public Library Holding Jazz Clinic Series

Many people’s first thought when thinking of jazz music is the smooth jazz radio or Kenny G., but the jazz world is much more diverse and complex than that. Its birth propelled a civil rights movement, with black musicians playing the most popular music of the 1920’s, starting the Harlem Renaissance. It matured into bebop, with the era of Charlie Parker and John Coltrane, to the smooth jazz of Miles Davis and Cannonball Adderley, to the synth inspired funk of Herbie Hancock. Jazz has inspired every movement in music in the past century and gave us the music we have today.

This leads us to the Public Libraries Jazz Clinic Series, an educational concert helping people understand the intricacies of jazz music, diving into specific topics, such as the core elements of jazz, the influence of the Blues, Latin, and Rock & Roll; specific time periods of jazz, and luminary artists in the genre. These concerts will be held in the Main Library Basement Auditorium, at 2 p.m, on October 29, 2017, November 26, 2017, January 21, 2018, and February 25, 2018. The instructor is Chris Vance, the owner of Vance Music Studios, who boasts an impressive resumé, holds a Master of Music in Double Bass Performance from The Cleveland Institute of Music and a Bachelor of Music in Double Bass Performance from S.U.N.Y. at Buffalo. He has played in many orchestras and has served as Principal Bassist in the Bermuda Symphony Orchestra and the Buffalo Opera Company Orchestra.

So if you are looking for a way to expand your understanding of jazz music, or just looking for a fun way to spend a Sunday afternoon, the Lakewood Public Library Jazz Clinic Series is for you.