Underage Drinking

Underage Drinking

Alcohol is the most widely used substance amount American teens and young adults, posing substantial health and safety risks. Believe it or not, the average age for the first drink is 14. “Teens who start drinking before 15 are 5 times more likely to become dependent or abuse it later in life.”

According to the National Survey of Drug Use and Health, about 7.7 million Americans between ages 12-20 report current alcohol assumption. This represents nearly 20% of this age group for who alcohol consumption is illegal. According to the Alcohol Policy Information System, “Possession a consumption are closely linked because consumption generally requires possession.” Legally, parents are able to give their child alcohol if it is consumed in their presence.

Excessive drinking is responsible for more 4,300 deaths among underage youth each year. Also drinking is more harmful to teens than adults because their brains are still developing. Drinking during the critical growth period can lead to lifelong damage in brain function, particularly as it relates to memory, ability to move, and coordination. Underage drinking is very risky and can lead to care accidents, violent behavior, alcohol poisoning, and other health problems.

Most kids drink alcohol at a young age is to escape from their problems. Also it could make them feel good the first few times. The trouble with that is it makes you feel sick, and it is easy to become addicted.  There are many other ways to escape from your problems rather than drinking.